The Unit was first formed as a Fortress Company at Chatham in 1900. It moved to Malta for 2 years but then disbanded. Nearly 13 years later, a Park Company was established, and from 1916 - 1919 it was in France. On returning to the UK the unit was disbanded.
In 1948, 51 Port Training Squadron was created, based at Marchwood, Hampshire. During the 1950s the unit served in the Middle East, Cyprus and on Christmas Island. The unit's name changed a number of times, only again to be disbanded in 1965.
However in 1965, 51 Field Squadron (Airfields) was formed and was put under the command of 38 Engineer Regiment based at Ripon, N' Yourkshire. After a 2 year tour in Singapore, the Squadron moved to Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, working with 39 Engineer Regiment. The Squadron remained at this location for a number of years, taking time out to serve in Anguilla and Northern Ireland.
In 1968 the squadron was renamed 51 Field Squadron (Construction) and transferred back to 38 Engineer Regiment. Between 1984 - 1988 the Squadron deployed to Belize, the Falkland Islands and Northern Ireland.
Yet again then Squadron's name changed to 51 Field Squadron (Airmobile). Between 1989 - 2000 the Squadron deployed to Northern Ireland, the Falkland Islands and Bosnia. The Squadron underwent a name change to 51 Field Squadron (Air Assault) in September 1999 now part of 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault).